The Rewards of a Kaiser Permanente Career
You already know the array of career advantages you will enjoy as a part of The Permanente Group (TPMG): cross-specialty collaboration, a flexible schedule, administrative support and more. Now it’s time to hear about the practical rewards:
Our Benefits Package
We designed our benefits package to provide you with the most comprehensive, preventive, and catastrophic health coverage possible, all the while building your financial security for retirement. In short, it offers you the same kind of exceptional support you give to your patients.
Benefits are subject to change, and recent modifications may not be reflected in this overview. The benefits and compensation package as described in this overview are currently in effect; however, they may be limited, added to or adjusted.
TPMG provides health care coverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and dependent children (up to age 26) through two Plans:
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan
Supplemental Medical Plan (administered by CIGNA)
TPMG provides Delta Dental coverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and dependent children (up to age 26).
Coverage for Parents & Parents-in-Law
Medical Coverage for Parents & Parents-in-Law
- As a Kaiser member, you may enroll your parents, parents-in-law, or parents of your domestic partner in a TPMG group plan
- Parents residing in Kaiser service areas outside of California may be eligible for enrollment in TPMG sponsored group contracts in Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Mid-Atlantic, Northwest regions. Rates and benefit coverage may vary; contact MD Benefits for more information.
Dental Coverage for Parents & Parents-in-Law
Parents residing in California may elect to enroll in Delta Care PMI dental coverage. They must choose a participating Delta Care dentist. This dental coverage does not provide the same Delta Dental benefits as provided by TPMG to physicians and their eligible dependents.
Life and Accidental Insurance
Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Premiums are corporate paid, except as indicated below
- Coverage begins on date of hire
- Coverage for each policy is the lesser of one times prorated annual salary or coverage maximum:
Policy Coverage Maximum AD & D* Maximum Premium A $500,000 $187,500 Corporate Paid B $500,000 $187,500 Physician Paid C $500,000 N/A Physician Paid D $500,000 N/A Physician Paid
*AD & D = Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Policy A provided at corporate expense Policy B available at physician’s expense without evidence of insurability if elected within 30 days of hire; provided at corporate expense upon election to Participant physician status Policy C & D available at physician’s expense with evidence of insurability; provided at corporate expense upon election to Senior physician status
Paid Time Off
- New Year’s Day
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day, July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Annual accruals for the following years of services are offered:
- 1-4 years
- 5-11 years
- After 11 years
Can be used for vacation, sabbatical, or educational purposes
Educational leave is a privilege granted for the mutual benefit of the individual and the Group. It may be utilized for medical education, management training or professional development.
Leave of Absence
Family Leave of Absence
All physicians (including Pool Physicians) are eligible for Family Leave of Absence.
Physicians will be eligible for twelve weeks of Family Leave based on the number of units normally worked per week. Family Leave may be taken for any one or more of the following reasons:
- Birth of a child of the physician and in order to care for such child commencing within the first year
- Placement of a child with the physician for adoption or foster care (leave must begin within the first year following placement)
- To care for the physician’s seriously ill spouse, parent, or dependent child
- The physician’s own serious illness
- Care for dependent child following spouse’s death
Death in the Family Leave
Jury Duty Leave
Service in the uniformed services means performance of duty on a voluntary or involuntary basis.
A specified number of days each year may be granted to you to:
- take American Board examinations for certification or re-certification
- act as an examiner for the American Boards
Sick Leave and Disability
Paid time for personal illness or injury or medical/dental appointment
Long Term Disability Coverage
Plan 1: The Retirement Plan
- Corporate paid
- 100% vested after five years of service
- Death benefits to designated beneficiary or beneficiaries, if vested
- Early retirement option
Plan 2: Permanente Contribution Plan
- Participation begins automatically on the first day of the month following completion of 1,000 hours of Pension Service within an employment year
- A defined contribution plan (Money Purchase Pension Plan)
- Account balance will be fully vested after five years of employment service
- Self-directed investment options, (choose among 18 investment options and 10 Target Date Funds)
- Loans available; no In-Service withdrawals
Plan 3: Salary Deferral Plan
- A voluntary plan that allows a physician to make pre-tax or after- tax (ROTH) deferred contributions
- A defined contribution plan 401(k)
- You may elect to contribute from 1-75% of eligible compensation
- Additional Catch-Up Contribution if age 50 or older (may elect to contribute 1-75% of eligible compensation)
- 100% Vested at all times
- Self-directed investment options (choose among 18 different options & 10 Target Date Funds)
- Loans available
- In-Service withdrawals for financial hardship or upon reaching age 59 ½
Post Retirement Health Care, Dental, and Group Life Insurance
- Premiums are corporate paid
- Eligibility requirements at date of retirement:
- Age 60 with 15 years of service
- Age 65 with 10 years of service
- Age 60-64 with 10-14 years of service
(Under this option, physician pays for benefits from date of retirement to age 65.
Benefits are provided by TPMG beginning at age 65)
- If totally disabled (per policy) with ten years of service, physician is eligible to receive post-retirement benefits at TPMG expense until no longer deemed disabled
Dependent Care Program
- Use pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent care in order to work.
Long Term Care Insurance
All Senior physicians will automatically be enrolled in a long-term care insurance program. TPMG will pay the premium. The policy will be portable if you leave TPMG, with rates locked in based on your age at the time you start the program. There will be no current tax consequences of the coverage (i.e. imputed income), and the benefit payments are not taxable.
Home Loan & Relocation
Home Loan Program
The Permanente Medical Group Home Loan Program is designed to assist new physicians with the purchase of a home in the Northern California service area.
The Permanente Medical Group Moving Allowance Program is designed to assist new physicians and TPMG Pool or Contract physicians recently reclassified as an Associate physician with moving expenses incurred during relocation.
Dues/Fees Reimbursement (Renewals Only)
- Corporate paid
The Permanente Medical Group is committed to maintaining a market competitive Compensation Plan. The TPMG Physician Compensation and Benefits Committee conducts national and local salary studies each year. Salaries are adjusted each year based on comparison results to ensure TPMG is recruiting and retaining the highest quality physicians in the market.
In order to become a shareholder, a physician must be board certified in the specialty in which the physician practices, and work a minimum of 24 hours per week. Physicians must successfully satisfy two elections in order to obtain Shareholder status.
After election to Shareholder status, and the purchase of two shares in the corporation, physicians have voting rights on matters at the regional and medical center levels.