Kaiser Permanente’s flagship hospital with state-of-the-art resources
Oakland is the home of Kaiser Permanente’s flagship hospital, the Oakland Medical Center, and now one of the newest hospitals in Northern California. Opened in 2014, the newly constructed 12-story hospital was designed with state-of-the-art technology and thoughtful building design which adds up to first class care for our members. Along with a clean, modern look, the new hospital features:
- 349 Inpatient beds featuring all private rooms with guest sleepover space
- 12 Inpatient and 6 Outpatient Surgical Suites
- California’s first Intra-Operative MRI System
- A Hybrid Operating Room with Advanced Imaging Capability
- 9 Procedure Suites
- 8 Labor and Delivery Rooms
- New Interventional Radiology Suites
- Biplane Angiography and Cardiac Catheterization Capability
- Adult, Neonatal, and Pediatric ICUs
- A large, modern conference center
- Inviting outdoor gardens and walkways
- A cafeteria and grill with spacious seating
Two new medical office buildings and parking structures complete Oakland’s revitalized campus. The new Broadway Medical Office Building (BMOB) houses the Cancer Center, which provides integrated services: Oncology, Radiation Therapy, surgeons’ offices, individual, family and group counseling, all in one place. This building also houses our Health Education rooms, Physical Therapy offices and rehabilitation center, Young Adult Medicine Department, and several other departments. Just behind the BMOB is our tranquil Serenity Garden—a welcoming place with beautifully landscaped access to Glen Echo Creek.
The new Specialty Medical Office Building (SMOB), which is adjacent to the new hospital, features over 100 ergonomically-designed provider offices, seven outpatient procedure rooms, six outpatient operating rooms, conference rooms and conference center, staff lounges, medical library and more.
Kaiser Permanente Oakland also houses our Pediatric Center of Excellence. The Center is certified by California Children’s Services as a tertiary Pediatric Hospital, and is a member of the Children’s Hospital Association. We offer primary care at four sites, and subspecialty care in all the Pediatric Subspecialties and most of the Pediatric Surgical Subspecialties. The new 12th floor Pediatrics Department in Oakland features an “Imaginarium” look designed to comfort and engage our youngest members, while panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay offer every visitor a lofty horizon for contemplation.
Kaiser Permanente East Bay has several residencies based in Oakland – Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, Podiatry, Orthopedic Surgery, General Surgery, and Emergency Medicine. Kaiser Permanente East Bay maintains a top quality teaching program with emphasis on direct patient care and faculty development as teachers.
One example of our commitment to top quality teaching is the Kaiser Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship, or KLIC program. In addition to teaching University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) medical students through traditional 6 week rotations, the KLIC program gives 8 UCSF students the opportunity to work closely with physicians and patients over a longer period of time. This allows the students to experience longer-term relationships with patients and physicians, and to gain better insight across multiple disciplines.
Connected to the Oakland Community
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center works hand-in-hand with our community to help its people live well, be well, and thrive. We’ve built strong partnerships with local organizations to launch and maintain an array of health, wellness, and cultural initiatives for our neighbors, family and friends. We also award community service grants, donate surplus equipment, offer volunteer services, provide educational programs, and share medical expertise.
The Kaiser Permanente East Bay Public Affairs Department conducts an annual Community Health Needs Assessment to identify and address the most urgent health needs in the communities we serve. Currently, we are supporting grants to prevent community violence, prevent obesity, improve prenatal health, and asthma management. We also invest in outreach programs to improve reading scores for children and youth, counseling and parenting education for teenage mothers, and job shadowing programs.
We can help your practice thrive
Physician-owned and operated, The Permanente Medical Group, Inc. (TPMG) is the medical group for Kaiser Permanente Northern California. We offer a fully integrated care delivery program where you’ll enjoy clinical autonomy, access to diverse resources, and the chance to enhance your expertise in an environment that’s as professionally enriching as it is personally rewarding. If you want to join a facility that can help your practice thrive, we invite you to become part of Oakland Medical Center’s physician team.
All the Best of the Bay
Just six miles east of San Francisco, Oakland offers its residents a great climate plus access to the Bay Area’s and Northern California’s cultural and natural attractions. In fact, Oakland was ranked #5 in “The 45 Places to Go in 2012” by The New York Times.
Here are just a few things you will enjoy when you call Oakland home:
- A mild climate that offers outdoor enthusiasts year-round options (the average summertime temperature is 75°F)
- Over 65 parks for hiking, biking, horseback riding, camping and a whole host of other outdoor adventures
- Professional sports, Grammy-award-winning artists, special events and more at the Oracle Arena and O.co Coliseum
- The internationally acclaimed Oakland Museum of California, with its tiered Babylonian style roof gardens and extensive collections devoted to the natural sciences, history and art of California
- The 24,000 square-foot Oakland Asian Cultural Center—the largest and most modern facility of its kind in North America
- Beautiful Lake Merritt, which is surrounded by a string of shimmering lights and offers gondola rides in the summer
- Chabot Space & Science Center, a Smithsonian affiliate featuring interactive space and science exhibitions, immersive digital-dome planetarium shows as well as giant-screen MegaDome shows
- A revitalized arts, dining and cultural environment lauded by The New York Times, Forbes and The Huffington Post
- Convenient proximity to the Oakland International Airport, as well as to the San Francisco International and San Jose International airports
- The rich cultural and entertainment attractions of San Francisco, Sausalito, Berkeley, and dozens of other Bay Area locations
- Enviable and convenient access to the Pacific Ocean, the Sierra Nevada mountains, Yosemite National Park, and Napa Valley Wine Country
- Breathtaking scenery, rich history and countless recreational opportunities on nearby Angel Island, the largest island in the San Francisco Bay
- Proximity to several stunning private and public golf courses
- Great neighborhoods showcasing a rich tapestry of residential construction styles, including everything from ornate Victorian to ultra-modern
- An excellent educational system with top-rated schools and universities, including the University of California Berkeley, College Preparatory School, Head-Royce School, and top-performing public schools
For more information about physician opportunities in Northern California, click here.