Community-based practice with large system resources
Kaiser Permanente’s Richmond Medical Center (Kaiser Richmond) offers the appeal of a warm, closely-knit community hospital plus the resources of a large health care system. Here, near the birthplace of Kaiser Permanente in the Richmond Shipyards, we provide both complex and family-based care. Physicians find that they can fulfill their desire to contribute to community and to disadvantaged patients under the umbrella of a stable, financially successful healthcare system. We say that “Richmond is a place where an individual can really make a difference.”
Kaiser Permanente Richmond’s stability as a small hospital rests upon the support of a large, integrated healthcare system and our partnership with the Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center. Together, we call ourselves Kaiser Permanente East Bay. Our two hospitals share a single license, and the physicians have formed a single medical staff covering both campuses. The affiliation with Kaiser Permanente Oakland also augments the medical education opportunities for Richmond-based physicians. Between these two medical centers, we serve 300,000 Kaiser Permanente members in western Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Outpatient care is distributed among four locations in Oakland, Richmond, Pinole and Alameda.
One of the nation’s top hospitals for patient safety
In addition to being a medical center recognized for public service, Kaiser Permanente’s Richmond Medical Center is consistently recognized by both the Joint Commission and the Leapfrog Group as one of the Top Hospitals in the country for quality and patient safety. Offering a comprehensive selection of services, our 50-bed hospital houses an 8-bed Critical Care Unit, 42 Med-Surg beds, a full-service Emergency Department, a 6-room Operating Suite, and a broad spectrum of outpatient specialty departments.
Kaiser Permanente Richmond Medical Center recently celebrated the 10-year anniversary of its accredited Bariatric Surgery Center. One of only five in Kaiser Permanente’s Northern California Region, the Richmond Bariatric Surgery Center performs up to 400 cases per year, and has received Healthgrade’s Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award every year since its inception. Kaiser Permanente Richmond is also home to the Kaiser School of Allied Health, the only program in California to provide technical careers in radiology, ultrasound, and nuclear medicine.
If you are selected to join the physicians of Kaiser Permanente East Bay, you’ll be in good company as many of our physicians are recognized in Oakland Magazine’s annual summary of Best Doctors, participate actively in State specialty associations, and are published in peer reviewed journals.
Kaiser Permanente’s Richmond Medical Center features:
- Over 140 physicians and 1,300 support staff are primarily stationed in Richmond. An equal number of Oakland-based physicians also provide subspecialty medical and surgical services at Richmond
- A diverse patient population of greater than 100,000 members plus many non-member residents who seek emergency care
- A friendly, close-knit working environment that actively supports and encourages your growth as a physician
- Professional development programs and services that enable you to pursue a career path that’s in line with your personal aspirations
- A community-based, family-friendly approach to care
- Resident, medical student, and healthcare career teaching
- KPHealthConnect®, an Epic-based,electronic medical records system that integrates patients’ inpatient and outpatient records
We are proud to offer a diverse range of services:
- Bariatric Surgery
- Chemical Dependency Services
- Chronic Conditions Management for Asthma, Cardiovascular Disease, Cholesterol, Diabetes and Heart Failure
- Critical Care
- Family Medicine
- Head & Neck Surgery
- Health Education
- Hospital Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Internal Medicine
- Interpreter Services
- Interventional Radiology
- Nuclear Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Occupational Medicine
- Optical Services
- Palliative Care
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
- Plastic Surgery
- Psychiatry, Adult & Child
- Social Services
- Sports Medicine
We can help your practice thrive
Kaiser Permanente offers a fully integrated care delivery program where you’ll enjoy clinical autonomy, easy access to other clinical specialties, and comprehensive administrative support. Every member of our cross-specialty practice benefits from the opportunity to enhance their skills in an innovative, collegial environment where providing exceptional patient care is our foremost priority. Plus, as a member of our group, you’ll have back-up coverage so you’ll be able to enjoy family time, vacations, and create the kind of life you’ve always wanted.
As part of our team, you’ll have access to the diverse resources we offer plus the chance to enhance your expertise in an environment that’s as professionally enriching as it is personally rewarding. If you want to join a facility that can help your practice thrive, we invite you to become part of the Kaiser Permanente Richmond Medical Center’s physician team. Click here to find opportunities.
Connected to the Richmond Community
Kaiser Permanente’s Richmond Medical Center works hand-in-hand with our community to improve its health. This is achieved both with medical care and through the support of social and educational programs. Some of our physicians came to Richmond specifically for the opportunity to contribute to Community.
Community work is supported by Kaiser Permanente’s robust Community Benefit funding. As a not-for-profit health plan, we’re designed to engage communities with non-medical support and subsidies for medical care. We award community service grants, offer volunteer services, provide educational programs, and share medical expertise.
Richmond, rich in history
Richmond has a long history of human settlement dating back thousands of years, but it was America’s entrance into World War II that shaped its modern identity. During WWII, Kaiser’s Richmond Shipyards attracted tens of thousands of workers, seemingly overnight from all over the country to build the aircraft carriers, Liberty and Victory ships that were crucial to America’s and NATO’s defense. At its apex, the shipyard workforce was over 90,000 people. This massive industrial effort provided the economic backdrop from which Kaiser Permanente launched its first publicly-offered, comprehensive health delivery plans. Today, Richmond boasts many historic sites, beautiful coastal trails, a resurgent restaurant and retail scene, and a wide choice of housing options in and around the city.
Located 16 miles northeast of San Francisco, the City of Richmond sits on a peninsula that borders the northern shore of San Francisco Bay. Residents in and around Richmond enjoy the following recreational options:
- Day trips to San Francisco, the Napa Valley wine region, the California Delta area, or Silicon Valley
- Point Richmond, a delightful Victorian area that hosts antique and art shows, and a summer concert series
- Hike or mountain bike in Wildcat Canyon Regional Park, called “one of the best kept secrets in the Bay Area,” by TripAdvisor
- Walk, bike or birdwatch along the beautiful Marina Bay Trail
- Point Isobel, a 23 acre, bay side dog park with open space to run, play fetch, watch the sunset, and enjoy a snack at the aptly named Sit & Stay Café
- Shows, festivals and conferences at historic Craneway Pavilion
- San Francisco Bay sailing, windsurfing and kayaking
- Ride horseback, hike, or just relax and enjoy the incredible bay vistas at Point Pinole
- Visit the Rosie the Riveter World War II Home Front Historical Park, a first rate historical park with sweeping views of San Francisco and the bay
With its central location, Kaiser Richmond is a popular career choice because of its proximity to San Francisco and the central Bay Area. In addition to local alternatives, many physicians choose to live in Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Marin County, or Contra Costa County. For more information, please visit the official city website for the City of Richmond.