A great place to practice medicine
Welcome to the San Leandro Medical Center and Medical Offices! This is one of Kaiser Permanente’s newest facilities, and a beautiful addition to Kaiser Permanente’s Greater Southern Alameda Area (GSAA). The GSAA is comprised of the San Leandro Medical Center and Medical Offices, Hayward Sleepy Hollow Medical Offices, the Union City Medical Offices, and the Fremont Medical Center. The San Leandro Medical Center and Medical Offices offer appealing indoor and outdoor spaces and an advanced clinical information infrastructure throughout. It features great amenities like a spacious cafeteria, plentiful car and bicycle parking, and a free shuttle to and from the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system.
Being one of Kaiser Permanente’s newest “Centers of Health,” the San Leandro Medical Center is a patient-focused, flexible, and technologically sophisticated environment that embraces the cultural diversity of our community. The medical center and medical offices buildings are “green facilities” designed to use less energy and water. The building design, materials, lighting, colors, sound insulation, flooring, signage, and art work have all been chosen to contribute to health and healing. Rooms provide more space for bedside care, bringing care to the patient rather than vice versa. Convenient “off-stage” zones in each department gives nurses and doctors more private break and work areas. Nursing units are organized to reduce staff travel and make it easier to keep in contact with patients.
- 216 private inpatient rooms with the latest monitoring and medical record technology built-in, and with patient comforts like Wi-Fi and family sleepover space
- 20 Intensive Care Unit beds
- New Surgical Prep Center for pre-operative preparation with a separate area exclusively for children
- Eight inpatient operating suites — all with more space, built-in imaging and communication systems, and advanced patient safety features
- Two surgical suites with advanced robotic technology and telecommunication channels that provide two-way audio and video feeds for the purpose of training and collaboration
- Suites designed specifically for Interventional Radiology and Endovascular Surgery
- Labor and Delivery Department with 10 family-friendly suites, expert staff and facilities for high-risk deliveries, and a newly equipped Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- 40 Bed Emergency Department
- A large, comfortable cafeteria area that seats 200 people and emphasizes fresh and healthy food offerings
- A central tree-filled inner courtyard and beautifully landscaped outdoor spaces offering comfortable niches to relax, eat, and enjoy some fresh air
- Conference room space for meetings and CME activities
- Easy access to public transportation and highways
The San Leandro Medical Center offers the following medical specialties:
- Adult Family Medicine
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Hospital Based Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Minor Injury Clinic
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Occupational Medicine
- Palliative Care
- Pediatrics and Pediatric Subspecialties
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Psychiatry (Child and Adult)
- Women’s Imaging
At the San Leandro Medical Center and throughout the GSAA, the Physician Mentoring program aims to support physicians in their pursuit of a successful and satisfying career. We offer a mix of group and individual meetings designed to unlock the advanced tools and resources we enjoy here at Kaiser Permanente, and to train new hires to use our groundbreaking electronic health record technology. We also offer programs in time management and efficient exam room procedures, as well as mixers and lunch hour seminars that help new hires get integrated within their departments and within the medical center as a whole. We believe that Physician Mentoring is very important and that it contributes to the high quality of care and service that we provide to patients, and well as to the long-term satisfaction of the medical staff.
Investing in Our Physicians
Professional Education and Development is a core component of The Permanente Medical Group, Inc. (TPMG) and supports the concepts of group excellence and self-governance that have been the backbone of a strong care delivery system for over 65 years. The majority of our physicians are board-certified in their medical specialty and many hold academic appointments at the University of California, San Francisco and Stanford University.
Our medical group has a culture that is dedicated to life-long learning in the art and science of medicine, and in the management of a high quality care delivery system. We offer a variety of learning opportunities including online self-study options, small group sessions, and Grand Rounds presentations by local and nationally recognized experts. We also offer a full 4-part Maintenance of Certification support program.
Professional support at Kaiser Permanente/TPMG is much more than a great on boarding program, convenient CME options, and annual recognition dinners. The GSAA Physician Health & Wellness program supports professional satisfaction, family well being, fitness, cultural enrichment, personal development, and community engagement by hosting events of interest to the local physician population. In the recent past, these events have included bike clubs, gardening talks, golf tournaments, family baseball night, lunchtime practice management discussions, and financial planning seminars. The depth and breadth of Physician Health & Wellness programming at Kaiser Permanente is another element that sets us apart from our competitors and contributes to the success of our group.
Training the Next Generation of Physicians
Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency programs have been in existence since 1947. Our goal is to train the finest quality physicians in the setting of the nation’s largest and most highly regarded integrated health care system. Our graduates are highly sought after and many become leaders in our own and other health care organizations and associations. While the Kaiser Permanente residency program is not based in San Leandro, residents do participate in GSAA’s three-year (Podiatric Surgical Residency) PSR-24 program for Podiatry residents, a 2-3 month Surgery rotation, and rotations in Head and Neck Surgery, Internal Medicine, and Palliative Care.
Getting to Know San Leandro
Located along the eastern shoreline of the San Francisco Bay between Oakland and Hayward, San Leandro is a charming smaller city that is often over-looked by its more glamorous neighbors: San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. Residents don’t seem to mind though, and take great pride in their quiet neighborhoods, progressive public schools, revitalized downtown area, and booming small business economy. Coffee roasters, tea and chocolate purveyors, and high-tech start-ups are making once-staid San Leandro a bit of a sensation among Bay Area municipalities.
“Lit San Leandro,” a public-private partnership, has brought high-speed fiber optic internet to the entire downtown area, and a recent Federal grant is now expanding the coverage area. This typifies the mood in San Leandro where older homes and newer homes sit side by side, and where what’s traditional and long-standing is getting a jolt of new energy from the influx of young, well educated, and tech savvy residents. Bike paths, farmers’ markets, breweries, and yoga studios are the order of the day. What’s more, San Leandro offers free parking downtown to make running errands and shopping easier.
San Leandro is also known for its Cherry Festival, which has had an off and on history since 1909. Most of the cherry orchards are gone now, but the community turns out in large numbers to support this homegrown event with a parade, great food, music, arts and crafts, and special Kids’ Zone rides and games. Downtown San Leandro is also proud to host a seasonal, weekly Farmers’ Market that runs from April to October. San Leandro Medical Center also hosts a weekly onsite farmers’ market that is open to the public as well as to staff and visitors.
San Leandro’s temperate weather makes it an excellent place for outdoor recreation year-round at any one of the many city parks and recreational areas. Here are just a few of the recreational, cultural and commercial amenities in this area:
- 23 Parks and Recreation Department facilities including regional and neighborhood parks, swimming pools, tennis courts, and sports fields
- Bike and pedestrian paths in the downtown area
- Casa Peralta Historic Home and Museum
- Downtown Farmers’ Market
- Easy access to the Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco airports
- Lake Chabot Regional Park
- Monarch Bay Golf Club at the San Leandro Shoreline Recreation Area
- Oracle Arena and O.co Coliseum
- Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline Park
- San Leandro History Walk
- San Leandro Marina with picnic areas, amazing bay vistas, and walking trails
- Sausage and Suds Music Festival
- Shopping at Bayfair Center, Greenhouse Marketplace, Marina Square Outlets, Pelton Plaza, and the Westgate Shopping Center
- The San Leandro Cherry Festival, celebrating the City’s strong sense of community since 1909